Wahpeton Elementary School
Second Week of School
Students did a wonderful job this week getting back into the academic routine of school. All students' 1st - 5th grade have adjusted well to returning to school. Let us know if your child needs additional support.
School pictures are scheduled for September 10th at WES. Please make sure to send the picture packet with your child. If you need a packet, please contact the office.
Math and ELA testing
Students were progress monitored this week using the STAR test for ELA and Math. We need to gather a baseline where students are coming into this year to fill any learning gaps that may have occurred over the summer. You may see a report sent home or hear your child talking about their STAR testWe want all students to be above the 40th percentile.
5th grade parents: Mr. Haataja had instrument sign-up for your childPlease look for follow-up information from Mr. Haataja over the next week regarding rental options.
4th and 5th Grade Mixed Choir
Information will be sent regarding Mixed Choir for 4th and 5th grade students. Mixed Choir is held after school from 3:00 – 3:25. Please contact our music teachers Mr. Osthus or Mr. Haataja if you have questions.
No School September 6th
The doors open at 7:45. Students can go to the cafeteria to eat breakfast or stay on the playground until 8:25. Your student can arrive anytime between 7:45 and 8:25.
Free and Reduced Forms
Please turn in the free and reduced form. The free and reduced money not only helps your family, but also provides student learning resources for our school.
Our student software program is called PowerSchool. As a parent you can have access to your child’s attendance and other information through this program. Please contact the WES office if you need login information.
Have a great weekend!
Principal, Wahpeton Elementary School
The first day of school went great at WES! It was wonderful to see all of the kids return to school with big smiles!
A few reminders as we move forward this week.
We need to make sure all email addresses, phone numbers, emergency contacts and family information are correct. Please let us know when this information changes for your household. If you need assistance or a paper copy, please contact the office at 701.642.8328.
Free and Reduced Forms
Please fill out the free and reduced forms and send them to school with your child or drop them off at the office. We receive additional funding for our program needs based off of this funding. Our ipads, computers, Title I staffing, professional development, family nights, classroom amplification systems, and intervention programs all are accounted for through Schoolwide Title I funding.
If you have a 5th grade student, I highly recommend purchasing the $20 laptop insurance. If you have a 1st through 4th grade student you still have the option, but the devices will stay at school and purchasing the insurance is not as necessary.
Before School/After School
Nice job this morning getting your child to school! For those of you that drive your child, please drop them off in front of Door # 2 at WES and we will have them walk around the south side of the building. Students can arrive from 7:45 - 8:25. Students are released from school at 3:05.
I am looking forward to a great rest of the week!
With the first day of school just around the corner, I wanted to update you on a few items to help with the big day.
- Students in 1st - 5th grade that ride the bus, walk, or are brought to school can/will arrive anytime between 7:45am and 8:25am.
- Students will walk to the playground using the sidewalk on the south side of the building. Students can stay on the playground or go inside to eat breakfast. Please have your child arrive by 8:15 if your child needs to eat breakfast.
- At 8:25 all students will be brought inside by their teachers.
- Students are dismissed at 3:05. Please make sure your child understands how they are getting home (Bus, Walk, Pick-up)
- 5th grade students will be brought in by their teachers and brought down to their classrooms in the middle school.
All items have been moved to their new locations for 2nd and 5th grade students. We will take our time the first couple of days to help students adjust to their schedule for the upcoming year.
Here’s to a great year!
Hello WES Families,
I am following up regarding the situation at Zimmerman and how this will affect students at WES. Please know that I feel confident we have a solid plan in place and will be able to transition into the start of this year as usual.
I will break this down by grade level to help families focus on their children and where it might affect them.
5th grade students
- Students will be housed at the middle school in four classrooms on the north side of the building.
- Students will have their same teachers and schedule.
- When students have specials, lunch, and recess they will be over at WES.
- All students will have their own locker.
- We have already moved the students belongings and have assigned lockers.
- The first day of school, 5th graders will come to WES for breakfast and recess as usual. From there we will get them settled at the Middle School.
- I will continue to be your child’s principal even though they are housed at WMS.
- I will reach out again next week when school starts.
4th grade students - Schedule and location stays the same
3rd grade students - Schedule and location stays the same
2nd grade students
- 2nd grade students were moved upstairs, directly above their prior classrooms. Teachers and students' schedules will stay the same.
- Kindergarten is moving into the downstairs classrooms where 2nd grade was housed.
1st grade students - Schedule and location stays the same
I understand this will create some anxiety for students and families with the change at such short notice. Feel free to call if you have further questions.
Make it a great year!
Wahpeton Elementary School